Using Technology to Connect with All Generations
August 24, 2016
Are you getting the most out of your technology?
Here are some must-have apps for your phone and tablet that residents at Vantage House Retirement Community use to keep connected with the people in their lives and to make daily living less of a chore. They’re so easy to install and use, you won’t need your children or grandchildren to show you how.
- Voice Recognition: With the voice recognition app on your phone and newer tablets, you can dictate your messages. For older tablets, Dragon is a free download. Find it in your devise’s app store.
- Shopping List: Leave that scrap of paper at home, and use a shopping list app on your smart phone. You can check items off as you put them in your shopping cart and arrange things by department or supermarket aisle.
- Calendar: You have a lot of places to go and appointments to keep. Use a Google calendar (www.google.com/calendar/) and download the app so you can see all your appointments on your phone.
- Music Everywhere: Take your favorite music with you wherever you go with the Pandora or Spotify apps.
- Kindle: Kindle has an app for almost every smart phone and tablet, so you can download books from Amazon’s huge library no matter what device you have.
Of course, you can also watch TV and movies on your devices, and don’t forget to try out Facetime on your iPhone or iPad. It lets you feel up close and personal with your grandchildren, even if they’re hundreds of miles away. They might be texting while you talk, but at least you’ll get to see their beautiful little faces.